How Do I...?
Media Center Questions
- How do I request access to classroom computers for my teaching assistant? - NEW
- Who can use the equipment and where?
- Do you charge for equipment that I use?
- How do I make a reservation?
- What equipment can I reserve?
- I've seen your list of equipment. Do you have descriptions of the equipment?
- I'm not sure what equipment I'll need in my classroom. How do I decide?
- Can I reserve multiple projectors?
- I am a member of a student organization. Can I reserve your equipment for our meeting?
- My assigned classroom has installed equipment. What do I need to do to use it?
- I need access to some of my files. How do I connect to my 'Home' drive from outside the lab?
- What should I do so the presentation on my laptop appears via the projector?
- I use your laptop/computer, but need special software. Can I install my own?
- What software are installed on your computers?
|Harrington||7:30 - 4:30 M-F||4:30 - 10:00 M-Th|
|Blocker||4:30 - 10:00 M-Th|
|West Campus||4:30 - 6:30 M-Th|
With advanced notice any media center will stay open as late as 10:00 p.m. (Monday - Thursday), but will close promptly at 10:00. Also, IMS supervisors may be reached anytime during the day.
Each media center is responsible for a service area on campus. To look up which media center you should contact, view the service area map. If you are checking out equipment, the Harrington media center handles all equipment checkout and rentals.
How do I request access to classroom computers for my teaching assistant?
Your teaching assistants automatically have access to the classroom computers as long as they have current access to OAL computers. If they do not have current OAL access, email the appropriate media center supervisor (West: Dan Roberts, Blocker: David Hovorak, Harrington: Regina Greenwood) to get the account situated.
The equipment is available for use by anyone on campus. If we set up the equipment, it must be used on main or West Campus. Keep in mind that using this equipment may be subject to a charge.
In most cases, there is no charge for using equipment. We do not charge for use in:
- Classes scheduled by the Registrar
- Thesis defense
However, we do charge for equipment use in:
- Faculty or department meetings
- Weekend use
- Use during a time other than scheduled class times
You can see the full list of equipment and charges on our equipment listing page.
Note: Please make your reservation at least 48 hours in advance. For weekend or night work, be sure to make reservations at least a week in advance.
The media centers offer four ways to make a reservation:
- Visit a media center and fill out a reservation card.
- Email a media center supervisor (see our contact information).
- Fax in a reservation request – For Blocker and West Campus media center only.
See our contact information for fax numbers.
- Fill out the online reservation form.
For rooms that do not have permanent equipment installed, you are limited to reserving a computer, data projector, DVD, document camera and speaker equipment. You may request any combination of this equipment that you need.
Yes, read about the equipment and installed software at Equipment Descriptions.
Here is a list of common uses and recommended equipment that you should request.
|Showing PowerPoint presentations||Computer, data projector|
|Showing special documents or pages in books||Document camera, data projector|
|Showing DVD||DVD data projector|
|Speaking in large rooms||Wireless microphone|
|Showing files on your laptop||Data projector|
Yes. However your request is subject to availability and must be approved by the supervisor of the media center that will serve you. A cost of $50 per projector per day will apply.
Yes, you can reserve equipment. All reserve quipment checked out is subject to a charge. Also, priority is given to university classes, but if the equipment is available, it can be checked out. For security reasons, you cannot check out our laptops, but you can still request them and we will set them up for you on campus.
To use the installed classroom equipment, you will need to submit a completed equipment reservation form. All faculty, staff and current students have an Open Access Lab account that allows log in to classroom computers managed by IMS.
Complete instructions for connection to your 'Home' drive can be found on Open Access Labs website.
- Make sure the cable connecting the two machines is securely attached (Sometimes this is all that the problem is).
- Look for the "Function" key, usually written in blue, near the space bar. It is marked with "Fn".
- Next, look for a key with "LCD/CRT" written in blue. It is usually the F5 or the F8 key.
- Hold down the "Fn" key and press the "LCD/CRT" key. (This step may have to be repeated one or two times). What this combination of keys does is create a toggle that shows an image:
- On the laptop but not the projector
- On the projector but not the laptop
- On both
If you have an Apple Macintosh, there are two things to check:
- On the Apple Menu click "Control Panels". Then, click "Monitors". In the window that pops up if there are not two boxes (numbered "1" and "2") you will need to make sure the laptop is plugged into the projector and reboot the machine. If there are two boxes, go to step 2.
- On the Apple menu click "Control Panels" then click "Display". Click the radio button that will turn on "mirroring". You should not have to reboot the machine.
Yes, but only if these requirements are met:
- You must hold the license to the program you wish to install.
- If installing on a laptop, the software must be removed when you are finished using the computer.
- For classroom computers, if you need software installed for the whole semester, contact our office as soon as possible.
NOTE: If we are not notified a program has been installed, we cannot be responsible for the program being on that machine everyday. On occasion, we have to restore the computers (due to a virus, low memory/disk space, etc.), which wipes out any programs that are not on our back-up CD.
A complete software list is available at the OAL Software List.